Window cleaning may seem like a simple task, but as a homeowner, you know that finding dependable people for the project isn’t as easy as it seems. Not only does the project take time, but it also takes skill. Some windows are very tall and would require leaning precariously over a ladder while avoiding streaks in the process.
Since there are no specific requirements or complicated equipment needed to start a window cleaning company, there are more and more young, inexperienced companies popping up every day. Sometimes finding workers who are trustworthy, experienced, and affordable is like searching for a needle in a haystack.
To save you the time and hassle of dealing with unreliable cleaning services, we’ve put together a list of what you should look for when hiring someone to clean your windows.
Related content: How to Clean Tough to Reach Windows
Ask the Right Questions
What to ask for when hiring a professional window cleaner might seem as simple as, “how much does your service cost?” But there is a lot more than price that will determine if you hired a good, professional cleaning service to clean your windows.
To determine if the company you are considering provides quality service and is worth your time, here are some questions you should ask:
- Request to see license and insurance. Because it’s so simple to set up a window cleaning company—and there are companies that try to cut corners—it’s important to ask if the company has a license and is insured. A reputable company won’t hesitate to provide the requested paperwork. If a company is unable or unwilling to provide a license, that’s a red flag. And if they also don’t have insurance, it can create an even bigger issue. If an employee is injured on your property, you could be responsible for their medical bills. Therefore, it’s important to ensure the company you are considering is both licensed and insured in case a worker is injured. Providing these documents in advance of any work will assure you that the company is covered, and you are protected in the event of an accident.
- Ask about their services. You should ask what services are offered, what rate they charge, and the cleaning method(s) they use. Many companies will offer additional services outside of window cleaning. If you want your blinds cleaned, or the deck pressure washed, some companies may do it all. This way you can check several ‘to do’ items off your list with one call.
- Evaluate their experience. Ask how long the company has been in business. While there are young companies that offer good services, they could also be more of a gamble. Companies that have been in business for a while and continue to thrive in a competitive market usually have done so for a reason—excellent customer service.
- Look at customer reviews. Reviewing past and present customer reviews can be very helpful. Research Google, Facebook, and Yelp to get a consensus of the service. Although there may be some negative or poor reviews, a good company will have a lot more satisfied customers who are willing to talk about and share their experiences. You can find testimonials for most companies on social media. Another good way to gauge customer satisfaction is to request a referral from some recent customers, or better yet, from someone in your neighborhood who may have used the service.
- Inquire about their employee vetting process. Asking whether the employees have passed background checks is another important question to ask. When you bring people onto your property or into your home, you want to make sure you and your family feel safe. A reputable company will perform a thorough background check on an individual prior to hiring them to represent the company.
- Ask about ongoing safety training. Window cleaners work with high ladders and in some precarious situations. The World Health Organization noted that each year in the U.S., there are 300 deaths from ladder falls and over 164,000 trips to the emergency room. You can determine whether the company puts safety first by asking about their safety training programs for workers. Reputable companies welcome the question and will walk you through how they keep employees safe.
- Discuss availability. If you’re happy with what you learned from your research, you can begin to talk about scheduling. A good window cleaning service will stay busy, so understanding their schedule and communicating your desired start day will help reduce the chance of schedule conflict and miscommunication. But, even with a full schedule, a good company will usually try to work with you to accommodate your schedule—or make a concerted effort to come close. If the company seems inflexible, you may want to look elsewhere.
How to Find a Good Window Cleaner
Now you know what to ask, but where do you look to find the best companies in your area? Personal references are perhaps the most trustworthy. When your friends and family are happy with the service they’re getting, they’re happy to share it with you. But maybe friends and family don’t know where to find a good window cleaner either. What do you do then? A good start is researching companies on Google, followed by checking out the company’s social profiles, and then evaluating their website to see if they can deliver the quality service you’re looking for. These are also a few characteristics that can help you narrow your search.
- Transparent pricing: Ask for a quote. Is the company upfront about what they will charge you? Beware of companies that dodge the question and try to sign you up before they give you a quote. There shouldn’t be anything shady about getting a cost evaluation for the job. Reliable companies will be upfront about their pricing. Some may give you a quote over the phone or online, most will set up an appointment to evaluate the project before giving you a price.
- Positive reviews: As we noted earlier, a company that gives quality service is going to have several customers that have plenty of good things to say about their experience. The company may have some of these testimonials on their website, but even if they don’t, you can ask for references. As you sift through reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yelp, keep in mind that no company will please everyone. There will likely be some negative reviews out there, but a good company should have more positive than negative feedback.
- Long-established business: There’s nothing wrong with new, upcoming businesses. But when you’re looking for quality service, you want a company that has proven itself and can withstand a competitive market. It assures you that you won’t have to go searching for another company each time you have work to be done. You can also have more confidence knowing that the technicians washing your windows are skilled at what they do and have extended knowledge about caring for all things related to windows.
Now that your windows are squeaky clean, what about your fence and deck? Window Genie offers pressure washing services that can get your deck and/or fence clean and ready for a fresh coat of paint. Once that job is done, consider Five Star Painting for your fence and deck painting needs.
Never Have Dirty Windows Again
Weeding through all the companies to find one that is skilled, reliable, and offers cost-effective service can sometimes be a headache. While there are several questions you can ask to see if a company is a good fit for you, make sure they are transparent with their pricing and have positive customer reviews to prove they provide good service. It’s also important to evaluate their business experience to assess how trustworthy they will be with your home. Your local pros at Window Genie do their best to make the entire process as effortless as possible for you. You can trust our experience and exceptional service to keep your home looking it’s absolute best. To learn more, give us a call at 877-243-8624 or request a quote online today.