It’s easy to forget about maintaining our homes’ gutters. We sometimes take for granted that they’ll continue to work as they should and let’s be honest, cleaning them isn’t exactly a fun chore. But if you don’t clean your gutters regularly, you can end up with much bigger problems and costly home repairs in the future. Hiring a professional to clean your gutters can provide the best of both worlds: you’ll know that your gutters are working as they should, and you won’t have to do any of the dirty work!
Is It Time to Hire a Gutter Cleaning Service?
Gutter cleaning is important since clogged gutters can result in structural damage to your home, its foundation, and landscaping. Aside from the issue of clogged gutters not working as they should and therefore allowing excess water to collect near your home, the debris in a clogged gutter can become a breeding ground for insects such as termites and carpenter ants. These pests can eventually make their way into your home, where they can cause further damage to the structure.
There are a few signs that it might be time to hire a gutter cleaner:
- Water spills over the sides of the gutters when it’s raining. If you notice a waterfall effect, that’s a sure sign that the gutters are clogged.
- The gutters on your home are sagging. This happens when there’s a large amount of water standing in them for a long time. Gutters aren’t really meant to withstand constant water weight. Over time, the gutters may fall off the house entirely.
- You’re noticing staining or mildew on the siding of your home. This happens because water is constantly running down the siding, more likely on the shadier side of the house.
- Plants are growing in the gutters. This means a lot of debris has collected in the gutters, and it’s likely been there for quite a while.
- You’re starting to notice leaks in your home. If you’re noticing leaks along the exterior walls, this is a good sign that the gutters aren’t doing their job.
- Water seeps into your basement during rainy periods. Instead of being carried away from your home via downspouts, rainwater cascades over the edge of the gutter right next to your home. This can often result in water seeping through your foundation and into the basement.
Ideally, you should clean your gutters once or twice a year. However, if you have a lot of trees near your home that drop leaves, pine needles, or other debris onto your roof, it may need to be as often as every three months.
Related Topic: Which Chores Are Best Left to the Professionals?
Gutter Cleaning Help for Hire
It’s tempting to put off chores that are a hassle to do, and gutter cleaning definitely falls into that category. But you don’t want to put this important home maintenance task off any longer, especially if it’s been a while since your gutters have been cleaned. Your local pros at Window Genie are experts when it comes to gutter cleaning, pressure washing, and interior and exterior window cleaning. We can help you get it all done! Give your neighborhood Window Genie a call at 1-877-243-8624 or request a quote online today!