What makes a good franchisee?
2013 is looking like it’s going to be Window Genie’s biggest, best year. So far in 2013, we have 10 new Window Genie owners coming on board scheduled to grand open this winter and spring. In an interview with The Franchise King, Joel Libava, Window Genie CEO, Rik Nonelle was asked about what kind of people become Window Genie franchise owners, and if there was a certain “type” we look for. Posted on The Franchise King’s Blog, it read:
Me: What are some of the backgrounds of your most successful franchisees?
Rik: What makes us great is that our owners come from very diverse educational and occupational backgrounds. What makes ALL of our successful owners successful is their hard work and determination to succeed, but how they arrived there is dramatically different. In the past 24 months alone, we have added new franchise partners that include 3 CPA’s, a chemical and a mechanical engineer, a veterinarian that recently sold his 16 person clinic, 2 former CEO’s and a yacht captain. All had success prior to Window Genie, and all are on the track to success WITH Window Genie.
Me: What traits do you look for in a potential owner of a local Window Genie franchise?
Rik: This is a great place to bullet point who we look for and what traits tend to lead to success in our business. A prospective owner doesn’t have to have all of them, but the more the better:
- Being a self starter is an extremely important quality we look for. There are so many skills that can be taught, but having the innate ability to create success using one’s own drive and resources is hard to come by and we really value that.
- We look for someone with the ability to follow the system we’ve developed, but take it to a new level adding their own “flair” and create their own success above and beyond what we have to offer as guidance. Someone that does not DEPEND on the system but works WITH it will be successful.
- Being able to wear many hats and multitask as an owner/operator/manager. Not being afraid to face challenges inside and out the office from employee to customer relations. Being consistently professional and representing the brand to the best of your ability every day.
- The GAMMY rule – treating everyone’s home as though it’s Gammy’s home. Treating each customer, whether they call with a compliment or a complaint, as though it’s Gammy calling. Before you make a decision, consider, what would Gammy think?
- Being an honest decent human being is another quality that is difficult to teach. We look for men and women with integrity, who are willing to do the right thing, not the easy thing. A franchisee that truly cares about improving each home and business he enters will be successful. Enthusiasm is contagious and each interaction can become positive when the franchisee is passionate and genuinely proud of what his business has to offer.
- We look for leaders who can successfully manage their crew and set them up for success. Motivating employees to do their best and be proud of their work is essential. Successful hiring, training and continued guidance for employees creates positive experiences for customers each time those technicians enter their homes.
So once a franchisee comes aboard, what kind of support are they getting?
You’re probably wondering: Once you’ve awarded a franchise, what are you doing to ensure success across the whole system? Are your franchisees really getting the support and help they paid for by buying into a franchise? I’ll let the existing owners answer that.
98% of our franchisees completed the FBR50 franchisee satisfaction survey by Franchise Business Review last year. Their assessment of us earned Window Genie a spot at #4 in America for mid-sized franchises of 50-99 locations. Out of ALL the franchises that participated, regardless of size or industry, Window Genie ranked #35 in America for franchisee satisfaction. We’ve got some happy owners! Some of the benefits of buying into a Window Genie franchise are:
Proprietary Office Genie™ Online Software
Use of the Window Genie Name, Logo & Service marks
Complete Initial and Ongoing Training – week of training at corporate headquarters in Cincinnati before Grand Openign
Grand Opening Assistance on-site with corporate personnel
Marketing and Advertising Programs
Assistance with National Pay-Per-Click campaign via GOOGLE, YAHOO & MSN
Continuing Field Support – on-site training with corporate personnel
National Product & Equipment Affiliations
WG-57 Genie Glass Cleaner for Promotion & Resale
Purchase Discounts on Equipment & Supplies
Publicity and PR Assistance
1-800 Toll Free Support
Teleconference Training “Best Practices” Calls for whole system and “Underclassmen Calls” for new owners
Annual Convention for whole system – 2012 held in New Orleans, 2013 held in San Antonio
Enough about us, are you looking to take control of your own success? Have you always dreamed of being your own boss? If you’ve got the spirit of an entrepreneur and the drive to learn and grow, franchising is for you. To learn more about franchise opportunities, visit our online virtual brochure at windowgeniefranchise.com or call 800-700-0022 to talk to someone today!