Dirty windows are a nuisance, but it’s even more obnoxious when they’re covered in condensation. No one wants to wake up and try to peer out cloudy windows. But the condensation does more than block your view. It may be a sign of a potential air leak or the foreshadowing of damage to your windowsill.
Here, are some useful tips for dealing with condensation that should help clear things up.
Related Topic: How to Clean Double-Pane Windows
Window Pane Cleaning Tips
Of course, keeping your windows clean and maintained helps the appearance of your home, but it also can increase the lifespan of your windows.
By caring for your windows, you can reduce mold and rot in your windowsills and maintain energy efficiency.
1. Manage condensation buildup. It’s common and natural for condensation to develop on your windows when the humidity is high and the temperature outside is distinctly different from the temperature inside.
This type of condensation only becomes an issue when it becomes exaggerated and regularly condenses moisture on the window frame and windowsill, encouraging mold growth and rot.
You can easily reduce this risk by minimizing the moisture in your home and keeping it well ventilated. This includes making sure your humidifier isn’t up too high during the winter months. You can also use a cloth to absorb the condensation when you see it.
2. Clean condensation between window panes. Because double-paned windows are designed to be airtight and offer insulation, cleaning between window panes shouldn’t be necessary. When you notice a fog forming inside a double-paned window, it indicates the insulating seal is broken. This could be due to a crack in the window, water retention in the frame, or too much exposure to direct sunlight that caused the frame to warp.
Your best option to clear the fog is to try to pull out the moisture with a dehumidifier or with a water snake moisture absorber and repair or replace the window if it’s broken. Although it may be possible to reseal the window, replacing it with a new window may be more effective.
If your windows have already sustained damage, or you are interested in learning more about window replacement, contact your local Glass Doctor to discuss the best options.
Best Window Pane Cleaner
Contrary to what many cleaning ads will tell you, you don’t need a special product to get sparkling clean windows. You can make a simple solution with ingredients you probably already have in your home:
- Vinegar or Lemon Solution
- ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups distilled water
- ½ teaspoon dish detergent
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Avoid alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners. While you can make a solution from simple things at home, know that harsh cleaners—including alcohol, ammonia, and products that use them—will not only leave a film on your windowpane that is bound to collect dust and condensation, but they also wear down on the integrity of your glass over time and can cause staining to your trim.
Get Your Windows Professionally Cleaned
Caring for your windows can improve the beauty, comfort, and energy efficiency of your home. but keeping them clean takes time, the time you may not have. Your local Window Genie professional is ready to help. We offer expert window cleaning services that can help keep your windows looking their best. To learn more, give us a call at 877-243-8624, or request a quote online.