Who thinks window cleaning was a carefree way to spend an afternoon? Before climbing up that ladder with a bucket full of soapy water, you should think safety first. Here are some tips to achieve expert window cleaning, while being safe.
Things to Consider
Think about the weather. If it is rainy, windy or extremely hot, it is not a good time to clean your windows. Check the ground. If it has just rained, the ground below the windows may be slippery. See if the ground is sturdy enough to handle the ladder with the weight of the cleaner.
Make sure you have the right tools for some expert window cleaning.
• Bucket: this should be sturdy, with a good grip on the handle.Don’t fill it to the top! Try half or ¼ full of soapy water.
• Squeegee: check for good quality, they are easy to find in stores. The strong ones have a metal frame with rubber blade.
• Cleaning detergent: check to make sure it is good to use on windows, you don’t want streaks. We recommend just a bit of dishwashing liquid.
• Sponges/scrubber: make sure they are easy to grip. Get a sponge you can hang on to. Scrubbers are sponges with long handles to help you scrub windows.
• Rags: must be clean and absorbent. They are used to wipe drips and dry windows when you are done washing. They can strategically be placed in the tool belt. We recommend microfiber as they leave a lint-free, streak-free shine.
• Ladder: check the ladder to see if it’s in good repair and holds your weight. Make sure you have three points of contact at all times while on it, and reposition it after each window to prevent over-reaching. You can look into additional ladder accessories such as ladder mitts and stabilizers.
Make sure you have some sort of protection if there is a fall. If you have a cell phone, have it on you. It’s good to have an emergency plan, and let someone know you are doing your windows. Ideally you should be doing this with a partner, never alone.
If you are not doing them yourself, make sure whoever is doing the cleaning has some experience and training. Take breaks, especially when using a ladder. It is recommended to take a break after being on the ladder for 30 minutes. You can also have someone hold the ladder. Try not to clean in the direct sun, the soap and water will dry too quickly and you will have smears, drips and dried soap on the windows.
When to Call a Professional
Look at the height of the window you will be cleaning. If it is over a story high, it could be better to call a window cleaning service. If you have many large windows, it may be a good idea to call a company to help. You don’t want to take unnecessary risks, and an expert window cleaning service will be able to offer you advice when you need it.
So now that you are a little more aware of the safe ways of getting expert window cleaning, you can go and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the beautiful view!